Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Time To Say Goodbye

As we approach this last week, my heart seems surprisingly full of joy. Not because I am happy for the end, but because these past two years have been nothing but the greatest most rewarding years of my life so far. We officially have just 8 performances left of Spring Awakening, and I am so thankful to have made it to the end of this incredible journey. Michael Mayer our director and Tom Hulce one of our producers came out last Saturday to bid farewell to us all as they have the Drama Desk Awards this Sunday on our closing for American Idiot. As the last show on Saturday ended, we all headed into the performers lounge for a meeting with them both. All of us, cast, band, management, everyone together listening to these two incredible men with such moving words. It was difficult for me to actually accept everything they were saying and it was quite an emotional few minutes for everyone. They talked about how Spring Awakening has been their baby for so many years, and how grateful they were for each and every one of us, for performing and spreading the word of this show around the country. It was incredibly moving to listen to both of them because they are so passionate about this show. It made me think, wow, I have been working on this show for 2 years and I am freaking out about it being over, but these men, and Ira, and Dunkan, and Bill, and Kim, and Steven and everyone, have been working on this show for 10ish years, it must be an insane feeling for them that Spring Awakening is over. So hearing them speaking of the end was actually something so beautiful, because it has been their everything for so long and they couldn't be more appreciative and content about how it all panned out with the show over all of these years. We each got to say our goodbyes to them, and that is when it finally hit me, that this thing, this beautiful piece of art that we have been working on for two years is coming to a final end. Of course I am sad and a bit overwhelmed with emotion about it, but I could not be more excited for this week. Everyone is ready to perform the hell out of these last 8 performances, and although it is going to be more difficult that I can imagine to sing that last line of "Purple Summer" on Sunday night, it is going to be a moment that I will never be able to forget, that I will get to share with my family on stage and the audience for one last time.

I haven't written in this blog for so long. Maybe because I did not want to talk about the end, but hearing the words of Michael and Tom made me realize that I and the cast will always be a part of this show, this masterpiece of a musical, and that will never end.

I hope some of you will be coming out to Orlando for our last and final performance of the 1st National Tour of Spring Awakening. We would love as many of you to be there with us on that last day as possible. You guys have been the most supportive and incredible fans and I am so thankful for each and everyone of you for loving this show as much as we do. So if you're busy, or broke, or tired, or grounded, or too young, just know that we all wish you were here. But, a little begging to your parents, or persuading of your friends for a road trip couldn't hurt right? We just want a house full of love that last night as cheesy as that sounds haha.

So here is too the best last week of Spring possible! A week full of lasts, but of memories that will be with us forever.

Krystina :)

8 comments:

Emily said...

I feel like this show has been such a huge part of my life for the last few years. I can't believe it's ending! You have all been amazing, and I will always treasure the memories I've made traveling around and seeing you! I've loved "following" you around the country (mostly through your blog, but I have done my fair share of actual traveling as well) =) I will be coming from northern VA to see both shows on Sunday. Have an incredible last week! And thank you for pouring your heart and soul into this show =)

Meredith Ann said...

I have been following you on Twitter since seeing the tour last summer in Pittsburgh. I've grown up in the theatre, and I have had so many amazing experiences, but it was this show that really solidified the fact that theatre is something magical for me. What you guys have done onstage is nothing short of incredible, and I am SO happy that I got to witness it :)

Anonymous said...

aww I'm gonna cry!! ever since I saw you guys in Schenectady this tour has become a big part of my life. I loved seeing you guys so I found the tour Twitter page with everyone and the YouTube blog and everything. you all have made me laugh and smile and I'm so sad it's coming to an end!! have a fun and memorable final week!!

--Katie

Alyce said...

It was with the tour that I truly fell in love with Spring Awakening and with theater. You guys have truly inspired me and I feel so blessed to have met such talented people, even if it was only for an autograph and a picture. You all are fantastic and deserve every bit of success that comes your way.
I'm sad to see the tour come to an end, but I'm proud to say that I was able to see you guys before it was over. I wish I could be there with you in Orlando. Keep on blogging, please!!
xx, Alyce

Mar said...

Road tripping seems to be the way SA works for me! We're driving down from Washington, DC and have stage seats for the matinee show on Saturday. I couldn't be more excited! I stumbled upon the show pretty late in it's run, but I've latched onto it like no other. I can truly say that I've never seen a show like it, never anything that deals with power the way SA does. It's helped me through a lot of tough times, and I'm so thankful for that! When I saw it in Durham, I was blown away even from the very last row in the balcony. I cant wait to experience it rom the stage, I'm sure everyone (not just you guys) will be pretty emotional. Thank you for all of the hard work, commitment and emotion you've put into this production. It certainly shows. Thank you for also giving us a glipse into this whole process (blogging, twitter, totallytrucked), we really do appreciate it and it echoes the intimacy of the show rather well.

Looking forward to seeing where all of you go from here! Spreading out all of your kindness and talent could only do us good.

Enjoy the sunny ending!
Maryam

MT said...

I first saw SA on y'all last matinee in Washington, DC last year and you can't imagine how my life can changed since then. Really. Heh... looking back, I go "why did that happen?" and believe it or not, it's because of you guys and SA.

I'm originally from Florida and am happy to be visiting my parents next week so I'm taking them to the last performance on Sunday. I know that you guys are going to rock it out and continue to rock it in your future journeys. All of you have amazing talent and heart and never let anyone tell you otherwise. :)

Enjoy the Florida weather; it tends to rain a lot during the summer time between 2 and 5, so be prepared. LOL.

Anonymous said...

What a great post Krystina! I am so glad that my friend and I are going to be able to drive out from SC for the last show. Its going to be a tear filled night, but I also know that it will be full of joy as well!

Jennifer said...

You guys have done an amazing job with this tour, and it has been such a wonderful experience following along on all the blogs and reading all the tweets and watching all the vlogs. I knew hardly anything about the show before a friend took me along to a performance in Austin, TX, but since then, I've become obsessed. The show is so raw and so real and so moving, and I guess, in this last week, I just wanted to congratulate you -- and the entire cast -- on the amazing job you've done and the incredible amount of lives I know you've touched. Thank you.