Monday, June 1, 2009

Part One. The Ilse Experience

Words cannot describe the feeling I felt as I walked onto the stage for the first time with my hair braided, wearing a green romper. Playing Ilse has by far been the highlight of the tour for me. And being able to play her six times in a row? What else could I ask for. This past weekend truly seems like a blur to me. I did four shows as Ilse and they all flew by so quickly. This weekend is one I will not forget. I finally got to see my family! My mom, dad, little sister and brother, and aunt all flew into Pittsburgh from Phoenix to see me perform as Ilse and I could not be happier. Before this weekend, I had gone on for Martha three times and Thea six times and unfortunately, no one in my family was able to make it out, but this time they did and it meant the world to me. I am a big family girl, so having them all in the audience and onstage (my brother and sister got to sit onstage Saturday night), was incredible. It is hard for my family to come out this section of the tour cause they live on the other side of the country and we are stuck to the east coast! You east coasters are lucky, I miss my west coast! Anyway, going on for Ilse was such a wonderful experience for me. I learned a lot about myself as an actor, and it was a great opportunity to be able to do it four times in a row because each show, I made something better, tweaked this, polished that, and tried new things. I get more and more comfortable as they go on which is great for tomorrow because I am playing Ilse here for Louisville's Opening Night!! So it feels good to have four shows under my belt, because I will be able to ease into it tomorrow. It's funny, my first show, as I was running out after saying "Moritz Steifel" with my hair all over the place, (for those of you that saw it, you can testify to that haha) barefoot, holding flowers with Gustav Baum's shirt on, I had that moment again. The moment of "Holy crap I'm actually doing this for a living" and that made my first moment as Ilse even more exciting. 


So show story. Show number three, the Sunday matinee. It's time for Totally Fucked. As you all know, Ilse is barefoot the entire second act. For some reason I never thought about the fact that I could potentially injure myself with no shoes on, probably because Steffi has never spoken of it. Anyway, the still blah blah's go by and then the crazy blah blah's start happening. So I'm jumping and whipping my hair and dancing around when suddenly, I think I'm in Andy's way so I move over...no more like jump over...and end up slamming my foot on the corner edge of the middle platform and it completely gashed my left heel. It. Hurt. So. Freaking. Bad. Ah. So I hit my end pose in Fucked with more of a pained look on my face rather than pissed. I wasn't sure what happened, so I sat down in my chair to watch the Vineyard Scene, and I look down and sure enough. Blood everywhere. So I immediately leave the stage to find that my heel and foot is throbbing and bleeding everywhere. I quickly throw some neosporin and a couple Band-Aids on it and scurry back to the curtain to enter for the letter pass, noticing that each time I put pressure on that foot, I want to scream of pain. So I basically did the rest of the show with this really awkward limpy thing and got off stage to find that I ended up with a serious Spring Awakening battle wound. (To be honest, I felt sort of bad-ass about it, so I showed the boys all the blood and stuff...they were pretty impressed haha). But let me tell you. Ouch. I'm so happy I had only one more show to do after that and that I could spend today resting it up. It was tough at the night show last night because I was having trouble putting pressure on it. It is interesting however, because the adrenaline from performing made me not even think about it while I was on stage. Of course though, the second I start walking backstage it kills, but that is the power of performance. The show must always go on! 

I am so looking forward to the beginning of this week. I have two more shows as Ilse here in Louisville, Kentucky. Tuesday and Wednesday so if you are in the area, come check it out! I am so so SO excited!! But don't worry, you won't see a limping Krystina Ilse cause it's all better now!

Krystina :)

10 comments:

Julia said...

Congratulations on playing Ilse and giving such a detailed account :) Boo for my being stuck on the west coast!

heytheremeranda said...

You were so good as Ilse! Im so glad that I got to see you go on. I was on-stage at the Sunday matinee when you cut your foot, we actually talked about it at the stage door, well you told us about it at the stage door. I hope it feels better though and good luck with the rest of your run as Ilse.


<3.
meranda

lau said...

I know we all said 'break a leg' and stuff ,but you really shouldn't take it so literal honey haha

hope to see you guys soon!

Michelle said...

Congrats on your first times as Ilse! I was fortunate enough to see you go on each time in Pittsburgh, and was so impressed with how you got better and better. Good luck with the rest of the tour, the 'Burgh will miss you!

Meaghan said...

Congratulations on playing Ilse! I heard really, really amazing things about your Ilse (not that I am surprised)! I wish I had gotten to see it! We miss you in Boston. I hope your foot feels better too.
<3

Raena said...

I wish I could be there Krystina, I've heard amazing things! Break a leg on the rest of your shows!

And do you mind me asking (this has been bothering me since I saw the show in Minneapolis), is the green 'romper' 1 or 2 pieces, and how in the world do you get it on?

alycemurphy said...

I would love to see you as Ilse. I hope your heel heals quickly and you can jump around during Totally Fucked as much as you like!

Ben said...

I was at the Sunday matinee in Pittsburgh sitting in the front row, and I didn't even notice your show wound! You must've done a good job of hiding it.
And also, I thought you were positively brilliant as Ilse. A very moving performance.
I am so very jealous of your job and life. You have no idea how bad some of us wish we could be doing it.
Never forget how truly lucky and grateful you are.
Keep up the great work.

Ailsa said...

I saw you Tuesday night in louisville, you were absolutely amazing. i remember coming out of act one and my mom saying, i like the girl playing ilse the best, she sounds like a young idina menzel!!
i saw the show again today with someone as ilse, and must say, i prefer you!!
good luck!

ailsa

STEINMAN! said...

I saw the show in Louisville opening night and I thought you were pretty fantastic. :) haha I wish you guys would have stayed longer so I could see the show twice. But anyways, you are extremely talented. Don't do sadness/blue wind is my favorite song now.